For sale is a fully carved beautiful Wan Bernadel 3/4 (standard) size upright double bass.
Includes a Mooridian travel soft case / gig bag for the bass, which provides excellent protection for local travel.
Some highlights of this bass's build quality include:
- Fully carved top, back and sides
- Thick ebony fingerboard that provides exceptional support when playing beyond the neck in high positions. (contrary to cheaper instruments where the fingerboard may bend under pressure in upper registers.)
- Neck joint comfortably placed at a perfect fifth from each string's root.
- Stunning varnish/finish and wood grain
- Very stable and easy to tune machine heads
Common questions regarding the condition of upright basses (answers specific to this instrument):
- There is NO sinkage on the top of the bass near the F-holes
- The soundpost is fitted properly and the back of the instrument shows no signs of excess pressure from the soundpost.
The bass overall is in very good condition. There is one area of the bass that could use a luthier's attention when it is taken in for its next setup: at the bottom of the ribs/sides near the endpin, there is some minor separation between the bass-side rib & back due to seasonal changes in humidity. This is a common condition for upright basses as a forgiving glue is used in construction to allow the bass to be disassembled should a luthier ever need to service the inside of the instrument. There is also a very small hairline crack (about 1.5") at the endpin joint, in the rib.
The area described above is documented in the last photograph.
This bass is being listed at $4500 OBO.
These highly-regarded Wan Bernadel basses only show up on the used market every once in a while and are an excellent value for a fully-carved and handmade instrument. This string bass is about 10 years old and the wood's tonal qualities have aged exceptionally well. It offers outstanding projection, volume, definition and clarity with great tonal separation when playing double stops or fast passages.
Below I have compiled some audio and text resources that provide additional information about this Bass's luthier, origin and sound quality. It performs well across genres including classical, jazz and bluegrass.
(note, craigslist does not allow URL links so please copy/paste these into your browser to view)