Company and Culture
Everywhere Wireless ("EW" or the "Company") is the leading independent, privately-operated Internet Service Provider ("ISP") in Chicago. The company competes with Comcast and AT&T to provide Internet access to business and residential customers throughout Chicago and its first ring suburbs. Using the most advanced microwave and fiber-optic technology, EW has disrupted the status quo in the ISP space by providing customers with a superior Internet experience, all-the-way-around. Internet consumers have historically felt trapped by the "big telecom providers" with no other option but to accept poor customer service, slow Internet speeds, incessant service outages and high, always-increasing pricing. Everywhere Wireless customers have not been shy about letting the world know how much they love the service and company - via Yelp and Google.
Everywhere Wireless represents an ideal place to work, if you have a strong work ethic, an entrepreneurial spirit, you're a doer and you have a common-sensed approach to business. The company values initiative in its culture and rewards employees that consistently exceed goals, objectives and expectations. EW is headquartered in the River West technology hub within easy walking distance to the CTA, Michelin-rated restaurants, entertainment venues and the Fulton Market District, along with Groupon, Echo, Belly, Jump Trading, Lightbank, Amazon (?) and many other fast growing technology companies. The company is heavily involved with the Chicago community and its respective neighborhoods, ranging from participation in charity events to non-profit volunteer work to supplying many of Chicago's beaches and parks with free Wi-Fi through its partnership with the City of Chicago.
Feel free to check your address for service at www.EverywhereWireless.com.
As the Director/VP of Engineering, you will be acting as an extension of the SVP of Technology in the design, implementation, maintenance and support of the company's growing network infrastructure and engineering team. You will lead a team that is responsible for designing and developing scalable, maintainable, highly available network architectures that meet business objectives and SLAs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Manages a team of engineers and associates and directs their work to meet department goals
• Participates in executive leadership discussions and decisions for all departments
• Establishes networking environment by designing and directing system configuration, along with defining, documenting, and enforcing system standards
• Recruits, hires, trains and motivates a team of engineering and technical associates
• Maximizes network performance by monitoring performance; troubleshooting network problems and outages; scheduling upgrades and collaborating with network architects on network optimization
• Interfaces with building owner and business customers, ensuring that Service Level Agreements ("SLA") notification and resolution requirements are met and exceeded
• Secures network system by establishing and enforcing policies, along with defining and monitoring access
• Manages network capacity and auditing of IP addressing and design within the network
• Collaborates with project management teams, third-line engineers and service desk engineers on a regular basis
Qualifications - REQUIRED
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a related subject
• Proven, hands-on network engineering experience; seeking a "leader who does"
• CCNA and CCNP (CCIE and/or CISSP highly valued)
• Deep understanding of networking protocols (e.g., IPSEC, BGP, OSPF, 802.11, QoS)
• Solid understanding of the OSI or TCP/IP model and IP Addressing
• Experience working in datacenter environments or interfacing with such environments
• Hands-on experience with monitoring, network diagnostic and network analytics tools
• Experience managing a technical team, yet with a business-minded approach
• Strong people and organizational skills; possess the ability to work independently
Qualifications - DESIRED
• Advanced degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a related subject
• Experience managing large scale construction or installation projects
• Experience working with SLAs and uptime requirements
• Experience working with failure analysis using data to identify trends in equipment and infrastructure points of failure
• Experience with wireless equipment such as point to point radios (i.e. fixed wireless, microwave)
Base salary of up to $150k/year (significantly depending upon experience)
Plus bonuses, benefits and potential future equity options